Direct MP3 Download: Podnutz Daily #193 – Norton 2010 Internet Security
AcidBurn joins us to go over computer repair jobs he’s been working on, and a review of Norton 2010 Internet Security.
Bill, also known as Acidburn Joins Steve
Computers that Bill is working on:
- Dell XPS desktop with “PC antivirus 2010” plus other root kits. Used trojan remover, superantispyware, and malwarebytes.
- Had a computer with “stop sign” (anti-virus advertised on late-night television) installed, difficult to remove , spybot search and destroy able to see it but not remove. Also installs toolbar plus other programs.
- Acidburn talks about a pop-up that look like the “my computer” explorer screen saying you have a virus and tricks you into downloading and purchasing software.
- Refurbished laptop from Microcenter to install new antivirus, used Avira is finding AVG somewhat bloated.
Other topics discussed:
- Acidburn’s tool kit includes malware bytes, and rootkit revealer (part of sysinternals)
- Avira anti-virus versus AVG
- Norton 2009 vs. 2010 and free upgrades.
- Reselling antivirus (such as Norton or Kaspersky) as an affiliate.
- Super anti spyware now offering online scanner
- Acidburn’s experience with his gigabit network
- Hijack this
- Spybot search and destroy
- Methods of determining what price to charge for service
- Easus partition manager
- Ponutz transcripts will be found on Texifyaudio.com/podnutz
- Process explorer and sysinternals
- Rootkit:subverting the windows kernel is book mentioned on the Russinovich video.
- Protecting work USB drives from infection: Acidburn formats his drive in a linux machine.
- Steve recommends the Sandisk Cruzers USB drives for durability.
- Steve and Acidburn talk about their experience with online sellers on Ebay’s for laptop screens.
- Steve and Acidburn recommend these sellers: Laptopaid and dvdsuper999
- Visit the podnutz fourm
- Steve adds 2 more videos to the laptop repair videos
- Door2doorGeek talks about sourceforge driverbackup for driver backup, Acronis(paid) vs Easus disk copy (free)
- Mark Russinovich video on malware removal is also available on youtube in separate parts.
- Lockable USB drive on Newegg: PQI U339H
- Panda has free utility: USB and Autorun vaccine.
- One writer talks about his experience with supplysale .com
Show notes by Mike Evans at datamike.net