Direct MP3 Download: Podnutz Daily #213 – Phase One
Steve McLaughlin fromDoorToDoorGeek.com joins us today to go over his regimen of repair/diagnostic programs he calls “Phase One”.
- Kasperky rescue CD
- Trinity Rescue Kit is a free live Linux distribution that aims specifically at recovery and repair operations on Windows machines
- Ultimate Boot CD which has MHDD
- Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
- SpinRite for data recovery
- KonBoot allows you to change contents of a linux kernel or Windows kernel for bypassing the password
Hardware testing/Info Tools
- Crystal Disk Info is a HDD/SSD utility software which supports S.M.A.R.T.
- SIW System Information for Windows is a tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings
- ardai16 analyzes your computer and displays thorough information on its hardware
- MemTest86+ memory tester (included on UBCD and UBCD4WIN)
- Cleanup Tools:
- Steven Gould’s CleanUp removes temporary files created while surfing the web, empties the Recycle Bin, deletes files from your temporary folders and more.
- PureRa also cleans and removes temporary files
- CCleaner removes unused files from your system
- Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded. (also part of the SysInternals Suite)
- Spacemonger 1.4.0 is a tool for keeping track of the free space on your computer
- JavaRa removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- Glary Utilities
- PC Decrapifier for removing assorted trialware included with new computers
- Revo Uninstallerr for clean uninstalls
- Autoruns for Windows is an advanced MSConfig (also part of theSysInternals Suite)
- Microsoft Video by Mark Russinovich on Advanced Malware Cleaning
- Tim from Oceanside asks for info on rootkits and rootkit removers includingunhackme, D2D recommends scanning from outside the OS like a boot CD
- Jim is looking for an alternative source of Dell laptop Batteries and power supplies, Steve recommends EBay and searching with the term “genuine”
- Laptop powering up with a bios error of keyboard failed, Steve says try to boot with the keyboard disconnected and an external keyboard plugged in
- Rick asks if Steve’s done any video’s on computer networking, D2D says to trypracticallynetworked.com
- Jorge says Dagon Design has info on Windows XP and Vista Product Key Recovery
- Russ asks about backing up drivers before reinstalling Windows, Steve says he downloads the drivers, or use driverpacks, the chatroom says to tryDrvback DoubleDriver
Want to be a guest host or be on the great tech debate? sign up!
A page of commonly used links given on Podnutz can be found here