Direct MP3 Download: Podnutz Daily #329 – FixMyPC99.com
A podcast for computer repair techs, by computer repair techs!
Today’s guest is Greg White, FixMyPC99.com, from a rural area near Gainesville, GA, where offering remote support services may be his best option. He comes on Podnutz Daily to discuss his process for setting up his business.
Greg first experienced computers running DOS in the 80’s when his employer transitioned him from Audiovisual Manager to a newly created Cost Recovery position. His first home computer was a Commodore 128. After being laid-off in 1985, he opened a video production company and bought a Mac 128 for scripting and production management tasks. He worked for a while on a large corporate help desk out of Atlanta, GA and has been running his own E-Commerce business, but, needing more income, is returning to computer support.
- One-man show verses need for a partner
- Prototype website concept
- Two man team working from separate locations via web to support customers
- Free open source chat/email/ticket system comm100.com
- Embedding communication technology and parameters
- Remote assistance
- Phone support via virtual PBX system on a budget using NCHSoftware with hamachi vpn clients from LogMeIn
- Crashplan online backup
- DYN.com/dns for sub domain to attach to your home network
- Xamp Apache distribution
- Google Adwords experiences and rates
- Wildwestdomains.com Godaddy reseller
- Hostgater.com verses Godaddy.com opinions
- Greg’s exploratory concept of cooperative tech-to-tech support website, TechDeskService.com, which he created with Google Sites
- Zoho for developing online service agreement and database.
- Richard shares information about his business in rural Australia
- Gabe sends clip of his daughter acting as a computer tech that Steve C applauds as an idea for a potentially good marketing tool
- Josh writes about his efforts toward setting up his new tech business side job, IndiPCSolutions, and the benefits the Podnutz shows and forums and TechNibble have contributed to that process. Steve C also recommends that Josh check out Dan Hand’s site, ACRBO (Association of Computer Repair Business Owners) , as a great resource to boost his professionalism
- Lotfi, The Reballer, offers advise for a stronger USB socket repair on a mobile phone for job referenced by Jeremy from FastLanePC.com, in Podnutz Daily #328. Lotfi’s recommendations include: araldite glue, T-862 Digital Infrared Rework Soldering System that won’t melt plastic in socket, fine soldering tip, flux and Goot Wick Desoldering Braid
- An anonymous caller provides a tip about Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) , a Windows 7 Start Menu utility that records screen activity for demonstration and analysis uses
Would You Like To Support Podnutz?
You can support Steve’s efforts to produce all the Podnutz shows by using these affiliate links when making an online purchase:
- Talk to to other Podnutz fans on teamspeak using these credentials– podnutz.instantts.net port 4201
- Go here for DoorToDoorGeek’s Spreadsheet with all Android App Adicts app picks
- Get Podnutz T-shirts and hats here!
- Looking for a great tech resource and informative interaction? Check out the Podnutz Forums!
- Go here for links, compiled by Mike Evans at datamike.net, to commonly referenced resources on Podnutz